Thursday, February 9, 2017

Beetroot Carpaccio with Toasted Pine Nuts, Parmesan and crispy Rocket


I finally found a vegetable dish that I could proudly serve to my visitors or bring to a party without feeling inadequate and also hopeful. Will they like? Does it taste at least, okey? I don't do salads, blame that to my humble upbringing where the only vegetables that I know are cooked to death or killed twice. That's carrots and peas, paprika and potatoes drowned in a greasy sauce or at least randomly swimming in a pot full of animal carcasses.



Last month I was watching my favourite cook show on TV when this thinly sliced vegetable carpaccio made a quick appearance. Among the good number of dishes showcased that evening, this beetroot Carpaccio  made a lasting impression.  It looked so appetising so I decided to make it at home. I was feeling all housewife-y and kind of miss the foods we had in Spain so I made few tapas for dinner. This was clearly my and FF's favourite. So I served it again once day ,when the family came over for lunch. Just as expected, it was the first dish to be wiped out. Everyone who tried it,  just loved it! 


I did not measure the ingredients. If decided to give this salad a go, just eyeball everything and it will be just as good, I promise!

 Cook beetroot and peel. You can boil it or wrap in foil and bake until it's cooked. Peeling it was quite messy though, fortunately , there are cooked and vacuumed sealed beetroot sold in our local supermarket . 



Thinly slice beetroot and lay on your serving plater.  Spread shaved parmesan over it. How much? Depends on how much you love cheese, I would day!




Heat a small skillet and toast a handful of pine nuts in it until aromatic. Spread over carpaccio.

Drizzle carpaccio with good quality olive oil. Season with a bit of salt and some freshly ground black pepper.


Up next, balsamic vinegar or acetano balsamico.

Lastly, heat a cup of vegetable oil in a pan/wok. Fry a handful of rocket leaves/arugula for 30-40 seconds or until crispy. Drain on a paper towel and scatter crispy rockets on top of your Carpaccio. Done!





So simple yet so , so goooood. The earthy beetroot, the salty parmesan, the nutty pine nuts, the sweet Balsamic vinegar and the crunchy Arugula played harmoniously in my palate like an orchestra.I know somebody who don't like beetroot who tried it and end up liking it! I got a lot of recipe request for this simple salad, so I'm sharing the love. (^_^)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...