Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Siopao Asado

I somehow developed a liking to it when I can't have it. Back in the Philippines, one can actually see Siopao in all forms and sizes in every corner. I can say that although, I often had  one when a pang strikes, I never really relished it. Never appreciated its soft dough and  its savory filling. It's just something to grab when hunger strikes.  Aaand It doesn't cost an arm and leg ! Fast forwarding Siopao filled days---- I came to a place where not a single Siopao is in sight! There and then  realization bites, it is akin to comfort food . It's a piece of my homeland. No, I don't mean China! Although I am grateful to the Chinese that brought us this recipe.

 I don't remember any member of my family who made it from scratch. Knowing perhaps, that  making it yourself is going to be a long row to hoe. Buying is an easier alternative. But here, when its availability is as close as having Brad Pitt in my kitchen, it leaves me no choice. The girl wants her Siopao and Siopao she will make. May the force be with me. So here we go.

Chicken Siopao Asado and no it's not from Chow King!


I started off by making the Asado filling. You could use Pork as well, it would taste just as much delicious. I suggest you use pork shoulder though, this section is particularly tender and have enough fat on it ( It's not that bad) ,making it easier to shred. I on the other hand used chicken breast and quite happy with it. S
I said I heart you and ireplied I heart you back. t when my meal talks with me!


It is necessary to make the filling first as it has to cool off completely. Stuffing warm filling in the siopao dough makes it soggy. Which is bad. Very bad. For this Chicken Asado , I heat 2 tbsp. of vegetable oil in a pan, sauteed 1 diced onion until translucent before adding 3 finely chopped garlic gloves. Don't let the garlic burn as it renders a bitter taste then. Then I add chicken pieces into the pan and add the rest of seasoning. I used 3 tbsp. brown sugar, 3 tbsp light soy sauce and  about a tablespoon each of oyster sauce, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper sauce and dark sweet soy sauce. Next, I poured a cup and half of water, stir in 2 bay leaves and sprinkle a tsp of powdered anise . The I season it with salt  and if you don't have pepper sauce, ground pepper will do.  Then simmer it for half an hour under low heat but keep an eye or two on the pan. Don't let it dry out.

Once the chicken is cooked, take the chicken pieces out and using 2 forks, shred the meat into thin threads. It doesn't have to be extra fine, that's what teeth and dentures are for... Grinding good stuff into smaller particles . Put the shredded pieces into the pan. Then dissolve 1 tbsp. of sugar in a half a cup of water, add 1 tsp of cornstarch and 1 tbsp. light soy sauce. Stir then add into the shredded chicken to thicken the sauce. Remove from heat ,cool off completely and keep your finger off that meat!
Stretch your arms over your head , roll  your sleeves up and take a deep breath. We are doin' some dough! No. not that dough, but a yeast dough.

Before you start skipping, proof your yeast first. It has to be active otherwise you will end up having a stone hard crumbly siopao. We don't want that!






To do that, sprinkle a small pack of yeast over a cup  (1/4 liter) of warm water. Add a tsp of white sugar and stir. You see, like most women, yeast feeds on sugar, they come alive! Let it stand for 10 mins until it look like somebody who had too much drink puked on it  bubbly and foamy.I'm thankful that I  own a stand mixer. This big, mean machine does the kneading and the mixing and the blending for me. It's so versatile it could do almost everything except bring the garbage out and save me from a bad hair day.




 If you have one, sift 560 g of all purpose flour into it the mixing bowl then, add 1 tsp of baking  power, a dash of salt and 125 g of sugar. Whisk it dry until thoroughly mixed.  All those dry ingredients must be well incorporated.
 

Make a well at the center and pour 30 ml vegetable oil ( you can use other shortening like lard) .Then pour the yeast solution. With a dough hook attached, let the machine do the muscle work for you. Turn the speed to low. Let it slowly mix everything together until it will form a firm but springy dough. Takes about 8 to 10 mins. If you don't have a stand mixer, just knead it with your hand. It's a good exercise and it burns calories which is not bad since you will be piling a lot once the Siopao is done!



Take the dough out and continue kneading with your hand until smooth. Form into a ball, and put it back into the oiled mixing bowl. Cover with cling foil or clean kitchen towel. Let it rise until double in size.



 Oh look how big it grew! Take a deep breath, close you eyes ,savor the moment and think. It's almost the end of the month. Pay slip's coming. All those overtimes and sleep deprived hours are finally getting paid. Then think about the taxes and the social insurances and the medical fees and the retirement policies and the huge chunk it does to your pay check! Think about all that things you can do with that dough!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Then punch this dough.......gently. We only want to release the air bubbles out ( not our frustrations,hah!). Then take the dough from the mixing bowl  and knead it for a few minutes  on a floured surface. By punching and re-kneading the dough, we are reinvigorating the dozing yeast. Let it set for a few mins before cutting it into portions. Prepare your filling, cut some parchment papers and  set the steamer.

 Now roll the dough into a log and cut it into pieces.  It could make about 10 big or 16 small but not so small Siopaos. Take each piece and flatten it up, you can use the palm of your hand to maneuver it. I end up flattening it using a rolling pin.

Fill each dough with shredded chicken asado. Unless you're handing it to the neighbors, don't hold back on the stuffing. Put enough meat on it! It's your siopao after all. Pinch all corners together to close . Some people are so good at sealing Siopao that  it looks like a piece of art. I did my best but I'm not some people.



Steam the buns for about 16 minutes. Make sure to cover the steamer with a clean kitchen towel. It will catch some unwanted moisture. Leave enough space between the buns because they will grow from this..



 to this!


I won't say enjoy and dig in because I know you would....


Don't you dare slap this savory filling with ketchup! Savor it as it is!

Hating kapatid? Naaah. It's all mine! Mine! Mine!


                                                                                                                                                                 

                                                              













4 comments:

  1. Hey! Awesome blog. I might try Chicken next time. It always frustrates me when I open the lid and my siopao is not sealed at all. So thanks for the idea, next time will turn it upside down. Thanks again!.. Me and my little guy are trying to learn Filipino foods this year: http://mylittlechefchris.blogspot.com/2013/01/siopao-asado.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Giselle, I'm glad you liked it. Anyway, sometimes it's the petty little trick that does it. Good luck on your next Siopao experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you consider rewriting this so that the ingredients and instructions are in a more readable format? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry if my format is a bit confusing. This is an old post, I will see what I can do.Thank you for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...