Filipino Poltroons are much -loved, flour and powdered milk -based, crumbly shortbread cookies. It comes in many different flavours , shapes and sizes. The most famous brand ,Goldilocks, sells it in these neat boxes and makes a perfect gift. Since stacks of these polvoron are readily available in many supermarkets, malls and even the airport, it became a convenient and very much welcome souvenir to bring back to family and friends.
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups powdered milk
2/3 cup sugar + 1 tbsp. vanilla sugar
2/3 cup melted butter
Let's make some Polvoron!
1. Toast flour in a pan for 10-15 minutes or until light browned and aromatic.
2. Sift toasted flour and transfer into a big mixing bowl.
3. Add Powdered milk, sugar and vanilla sugar. Stir! Stir! Stir!
4. Pour melted butter over flour and milk mixture . Mix until butter is well incorporated.
5. Once the mixture resembles moist meal or wet sand, then it's ready! Use Polvoron molder if you got one . Simply fill each molder with poltroon mixture, press to make a compact cookie.
5. Transfer polvoron onto a tray
I refrigerate my polvoron for 30 minutes to harden it before wrapping each individually.