Monday, September 18, 2017

Tortillitas de Camerones

Among the tapas I devoured in Andalusia, Spain in these past years, this crunchy ,aromatic and 
 thin shrimp fritter is one of my favourites. It reminds me of Filipino ukoy, minus the vegetables. No complains here! 


I first tried this addicting nibble about 3 years ago in Malaga, Spain. FF and I had a fantastic guided Tapa Tour on our first night in the city and among the array of fabulous foods we had that night, this shrimp pancake was by far, the one I liked  the most. I liked everything I ate that time. I tell yah. Everything. So when we went back to Spain last year, I tried ordering this particular dish ,every chance I got. Some restaurants make good shrimp fritters, other even better but there are places that made it mediocre at best. How can I tell? Well, let's just say, I ate  too much tortillitas de Camerones while in Spain that I might have cough out a shrimp or two without even knowing it.


I will be coming back to the south of Spain next week! This time, with some Filipina friends in tow. I intend to show them around the city, hit the beach, catch as much Vit. Sea as much as possible and of course, eat some mouth -watering Andalusian foods. So while counting the days , I am keeping my stubby fingers crossed that our flight won't get cancelled . Our budget airline is on strike and will be cancelling 50 flights, every freakin day til end of October!😓.


 While waiting for our holiday dooms  fate, I decided to cook some tapas this weekend to keep my spirits high and  to remind me of the good things  that yet to come. And it was pretty darn good! I could almost smell the sea and feel the Andalusian sunshine already !


Ingredients:

1 and 1/2 cups of baby shrimps, shell, tails and all, use fresh ones if you can get it
1 egg, beaten
a medium sized red onion
2 stalk of green onion
a handful of parley, chopped
5 tbsp. all purpose flour
2 tbsp. chickpea flour
1 tsp. turmeric powder
1 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika powder
200 ml water
salt and pepper to taste
oil for frying

Let's make some Tortillitas de Camerones


 1. Put baby shrimps, onion, green onion and parsley in a big mixing bowl.
 2. Add in flours , turmeric and paprika powder. Mix well.












3. Slowly stir in water, Mix until well combined.  Batter must  not be too thick  nor too runny. If the mixture turns out dry, add more water, if it's too watery, add a spoonful of flour until you're happy with the consistency.

4. Stir in beaten egg. Season with salt and pepper. Cover bowl with cling foil and let it rest for about 20-30 minutes in the refrigerator.









5. Heat oil in a frying pan, scoop about a tablespoon of the mixture unto the hot oil, spread batter as flat as possible to make your tortillas extra crunchy.  Fry to a crisp. Dry on a paper towel and serve with lemon wedges.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...