Sunday, May 14, 2017

Lime -Honey-Garlic Roasted Butterfly Chicken

Since coming back from Korea, I noticed that I used honey in many recipes, both sweets and savouries . Korean love for Honey somehow influences me that my honey jar end up empty 2 weeks after I started using it. I now put in in my teas, my salad dressings, basically in almost everything , even to my face!  Don't ask.

This is just one of the many honey flavoured recipes I tried . 




I purchase two  fresh poussin from our local butcher last weekend. Each weighing between 400-500 g. 1 bird is enough one person, says our friendly butcher. But since we won't be having just the bird but side dishes as well, I cooked these spring chicken two ways and we enjoyed it two days in a row.
A hearty and nostalgic Tinolang Manok ( Chicken soup) on a particularly rainy day and this yummy  roasted butterfly chicken the next. 





I learned to butterfly a chicken by following tutorials on Youtube.  God bless the Internet!  Since a poussin don't have really thick and hard bones considering that it's a young chicken , butterflying it was quite easy. I was able to do it with my kitchen scissors. If you don't trust yourself with shiny and sharp kitchen utensils and know that you can't slice an onion without losing a digit,  ask your butcher to do the butterflying for you. If poussin is not available , simply use chicken breast or thigh with skin on for this recipe.
Making this dish is also extremely easy.


Ingredients:
Good for 2 people  or 1 extra hungry person. 
 Just double or triple the recipe if you're feeding more.

1 poussin about 500 g,
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
chopped parsley

Marinade:

juice of 1 lime
4 cloves of garlic
1 tsp. grated ginger
1/4 cup light soy sauce
2 tbsp. honey
1 tsp. turmeric powder





Let's get cooking!



 Mix marinade ingredients together. 

 Put your meat in the marinade. You can marinate the meat for few hours or even overnight .



Heat over to 190°c. Take chicken from marinade ( keep the marinade!) , put bird on a baking parchment lined baking tray, season with salt and pepper.  Bake until fully cooked. My poussin took about 31 minutes to cook. To test, prick the thickest meaty part  with tip of a knife, if  juice coming out is clear and not bloody, then it's done. Do not overbake it, nobody wants a  dry chicken.


While the bird is baking, put the marinade in a sauce pan. Cook it under low medium heat until reduce and thickens. You can use it as a sauce to drizzle the cooked bird. It's quite tasty!


Once the chicken is cooked, sprinkle it with toasted sesame seeds and chopped parsley. 




You can enjoy it with rice  . Today, we had some pan fried potatoes and green salad with this delicious chicken. 

1 comment:

  1. hey Emmy...cooking is my passion. well your blog is interesting perhaps i could help the looks of design to improve traffic and maybe monetization...well no charges requires my blogs are blogakona.blogspot.com and incomecrack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...