Monday, April 11, 2011

Purely experimental: Binagoongan Shrimp Omelette


Contrary to what others might think, I don't spend hours and hours cooking at home. Don't get me wrong, I love to cook and I make sure I spend enough time with my pots and pan when  work and responsibilities spare me some much-appreciated days off. However, working 3 shifts also makes me a sporadic cooker . It also means eating breakfast at two in the morning, lunch at three in the afternoon and sometime completely skipping dinner. It also means filling our fridge with  frozen pizzas,  pantry full of canned foods and terrine noodles, microvawe meals and eggs, lots and lots of eggs.  It is indeed a  pleasure  to search for a recipe and pour enough attention into the  dish and anticipating its outcome. But if I come back home sleep-deprived in the morning , spend the rest of the day in bed and  wake up in the evening only  go back to work again, concocting some french Coq au Vin would be the last thing on my mind. So frozen pizza is like a life saver since sometimes, 20 minutes is all that I could spare. However , despite of the stress and hectic pace, I also longed for something hearty and home-cooked, something frozen pizza , though in its own quite filling , sadly  lack.
And so most of the time, when time is on my side I   instintively  threw what ever I have at hand in a pot or in the pan and see how it would turn out. Some ended up far from delicious, some edible but not good but also there are also  instances that things turn out better than I expected. Here is one of those experiments .

Binagoongang Shrimp Omelette



Heat a tbsp. of vegetable oil in a non-stick pan. Throw in a handful of shrimp and toss for a minute or two until shrimps turn light pink.





Add in 1 garlic clove, crushed. To put crushed garlic too early might ruin the whole dish since it tend to burn  easily. When garlic starts to render its aroma ( takes about a minute) add in 1 tsp of guinisang bagoong ( could be bought at any asian shops), toss for a minute until shirmps are well coated.




Add in two beaten eggs but don't stir it immediately otherwise things will get mushy. Let the beaten eggs set for a minute without stirring ,then using a kitchen shovel, carefully turn omelette upside down to cook through. When egg  firms up but still springy, toss it gently with the shrimps.Season with a bit of salt and some pepper.







.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

And tadaah!

Meal in 5 minutes! Serve it over steamy rice and you are good to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...