Monday, May 16, 2011

Curry Rice Salad



FF:( Burst out) ''I want to eat some rice!.''
Me: ''Huh?! I thought I'm the rice loving person here! I'm going to get my rice cooker!''
I replied almost hopping. 

You see, it's not everyday that we eat Filipino way (rice + viand scenario) . FF and I made a pack, he can't stand eating rice three time a day, ( Pinoy's staple food ) so he begged me not to cook it everyday. I guess he's still having some bad dreams from his Mindanao holiday few years ago. My family fed him enough rice that would last him a lifetime. The look on his face when he saw they're serving him  rice and grilled fish ( with eyeballs, tails and all) for breakfast was priceless. I wish I took a picture that day.  Can't blame him, he usually eats toast and marmalade in the morning. Must be a cultural shock! (^_^)

I did not easily gave in, I only said yes when because I made him promise not eat potatoes everyday.  Germany's staple food, which they have no qualms eating everyday too!

 Give and take situation...key to a peaceful marriage.

Me:''What are we going to eat with it?'' (Prospect yummy ulams already running through my head.)
FF: ''No just rice''. He replied..

Me: ''Sorry what?!''
FF: ''Yup, otherwise it's too much work.'' ( He replied grinning, I guess he simply wants to wiggle himself out from washing pots and pans.Hah!)

Since we won't be having viand with it, I might as well put viand in it. Wais yata ito! Confused? I will just show you how I did it...end result: Happy couple finishing half a kilo rice in one go.



Cook rice ( I used 500 g) and keep it warm. Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a pan. Add 1 tbsp. of curry paste. ( You can buy this at any Asian shops). Add in 1 medium sized chopped onion. Saute until translucent. Drizzle  a bit of sesame oil to add some aroma.




Transfer rice in a big mixing bowl. Add in curry oil. My kitchen was smelling sooo good at this point. I swear, just a bit of salt and pepper and this is good to go.








Now put things that you like. I added 1 chopped red bell pepper, green peas and FF added raisins, which he keeps on digging and searching like buried treasures. I happily let him dig my plate as well since I'm not a big fan of raisins. I could have all the  bell pepper I want in return. Add some chopped greens: chives, spring onions or cilantro for colors and flavors.



To give extra texture we added 1 finely cubed apple. FF reckon we could put mangoes next time. It would be a nice blend of flavor. Lastly, swirl in 2 tbsp of honey. Just pop it in the microwave  for a couple of minutes  to liquefy. Mix everything thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper and that's it! You can eat it warm or cold.





Kain tayo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...